Cupcake toppers can be purchased pretty much anywhere now, but can sometimes become an unnecessary expense, particularly if you have a large number of cupcakes to decorate. Cupcake toppers can easily be made at home to suit any party theme, and only require a few relatively cheap materials. You’ll be pleased to know that you should be able to find most, if not all of these materials in your local supermarket and craft store. If you have any cake to hand, go and find yourself a beautiful plate, some pretty napkins and make yourself a tea. All of which are the perfect accompaniments to any craft project of course.
Decorative Paper/Wrapping Paper
Double Sided Selotape
Large Heart Paper Cutter
Small Cocktail Sticks
1. First of all, decide on how many cupcake toppers you require. For 12 cupcake toppers, you will require 24 paper hearts, to ensure the hearts are all double sided. Take your paper cutter and cut out all of your hearts, placing them in pairs. There is a very wide selection of paper cutters, available in most craft stores. They come in all shapes and sizes, so you can definitely adjust the tutorial to your taste and theme.
2. Take a pair of sharp scissors and cut 3 strips of double sided selotape for your first cupcake topper. The reverse side of 12 of your paper hearts will contain 3 strips of double sided selotape. There will be one long strip in the centre of the heart, which the cocktail stick will be placed on top of, and 2 smaller strips either side of that, to stick the paper hearts together. Repeat this process for half of your paper hearts.
3. You should now have 24 paper hearts. The reverse side of 12 of them should contain double sided selotape and a cocktail stick, and the other 12 paper hearts should be plain. These plain paper hearts can now be placed on top of those with cocktail sticks, ensuring the pattern is visible on both sides of the cupcake topper. You should now have something beautiful which looks like this.
When finished, they will definitely impress your guests and give any dessert table that extra special touch! Enjoy!
A polite reminder: This tutorial is for personal use only and should not be reproduced or sold.
We’ve been very busy making lots of adorable pegs for our Etsy shop recently and we thought we would share! They are absolutely perfect for prettifying wedding favour bags or wrapped gifts. They would also look lovely in the home, perhaps hanging from a lovely piece of twine with your favourite photographs or artwork attached.
These pegs are just standard clothes pegs and are very easy to find in most hardware stores or supermarkets. I purchased a large pack of these from my local supermarket. I searched online for patterned washi tape and came across such an amazing selection, mainly on Etsy. The great thing about these pegs, is that you only need a very small amount of washi tape to cover them. This means that you will have lots of tape left for coordinating party crafts, should you be having a big DIY session.
I have decided to sell these in lovely packs of 10 here but if you decide to get creative yourself, then let me know. I would love to see!
A very kind reminder: Paper Doily tutorials are for personal use only. Please do not reproduce the above content for resale.
This is Paper Doily’s very first craft tutorial so we decided to begin with something simple but oh so beautiful. We absolutely adore washi tape. There are countless designs available, which is super convenient if you have a specific party theme to work towards. Store bought cupcake flags can be quite dear if you need a large amount. It seems far more economical to buy the perfect roll of washi tape, along with some cocktail sticks and have a lovely old DIY session. The washi tape can be used for countless party crafts such as favour bags, gift tags, table decorations, invitations, gift wrapping and even beautiful little thank you cards after your party. You cannot always purchase matching items from shops, so a good DIY job gives you great flexibility.
The construction of the cupcake flags really couldn’t be simpler. Follow these four easy steps below and most importantly, have fun!
- Use a ruler to measure 8 centimetres of washi tape. Cut the tape to size and place sticky side up. You can make these as small or as large as you desire, this is just a guide.
- Take your cocktail stick and place it in the centre of the tape. I measured 4 centimetres before sticking the cocktail stick to the tape, to ensure all flags were an equal size, but it is fairly easy to judge by eye.
- Fold the tape over, holding the cocktail stick at the same time to avoid movement.
- Take a small pair of scissors and cut a small triangle to make your flags look adorable.
After we finished our cupcake flags, we decided to prettify some chevron drinking straws with some glittery hearts. You can stick your washi tape to paper or card and use a paper cutter to achieve your desired shape. We then used clear double sided selotape to attach the hearts to the straws.
The straws and the cupcake flags will add that extra special touch to any party table and are two easy party crafts you must try. If you follow our tutorial, do let us know how you get on and please send us your photographs, we love to hear from you. Happy crafting!
A very kind reminder: Paper Doily tutorials are for personal use only. Please do not reproduce the above content without full credit.